TERMS OF REFERENCE CONSULTANCY TO SUPPORT OPERATIONALISATION OF THE ASARECA GENDER MAINSTREAMING POLICY
The Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research (ASARECA) is committed to advancing gender equality in the development and up-scaling use of appropriate technologies, innovations and management practices (TIMPs). Gender Mainstreaming (GM) has been incorporated as a programme support function to ensure efficient and effective delivery of ASARECA interventions and to accelerate the level of achievement in gender equality in all ASARECA-facilitated initiatives as well as ensure technical and administrative backstopping. This is enshrined in the ASARECA Gender policy 2014 -2018; which prioritized key areas for policy action as:-
- Establish and strengthen the institutional mechanisms for gender mainstreaming at the Secretariat and in the National Agricultural Research Institutes (NARIs)
- Strengthen and facilitate the integration of gender and gender mainstreaming at all operational and related interventions of the NARIs
- Strengthen the GMU of the Secretariat to effectively and efficiently coordinate the gender mainstreaming processes
- Facilitate the integration and tracking of gender responsiveness of ASARECA research for development interventions in the ECA region
In 2016, ASARECA will be implementing the following activities in three of the policy action areas:
- Establish and strengthen the institutional mechanisms for gender mainstreaming at the Secretariat and in the NARIs:
A gender audit of ASARECA and its member institutions was last conducted in 2013 and was conducted only for a few purposively selected countries. Using online platforms including survey monkey and email, an updated audit will be conducted mainly to inform achievements so far in institutionalizing a gender mainstreaming approach to research for development in the region, to inform the update of the ASARECA gender mainstreaming strategy and to contribute to the ongoing ASARECA strategy development process. It is envisaged that the audit will be facilitated by the regional gender network comprising the Gender Focal Persons (GFPs), experts and champions in the NARIs. The audit will provide information on current progress in gender mainstreaming at the NARIs with regard to technical capacity, political will, organizational culture and opportunities for institutionalizing gender mainstreaming in agricultural research for development institutions in the region. Based on the gender audit results, revisions to the ASARECA Research management guidelines in the operational manual will be undertaken to facilitate the execution of the 2014 ASARECA gender policy. This will be in addition to informing the strategy development process as noted earlier.
Further to this, ASARECA recognizes the opportunity that the high proportion of youth in national populations in the region poses to agriculture. ASARECA is also cognizant of the limited focus on the question of how youth can be better enabled to participate more effectively and profitably as business owners in the agricultural sector. To this end therefore, ASARECA seeks to work closely with each national consultant to develop a strategy on how to better harness the youth dividend in research for development interventions.
- Strengthen and Facilitate the integration of gender and gender mainstreaming at all operational and related interventions of the NARIs
Based on the rich data source presented by the ASARECA R4D project baseline data, ASARECA will work closely with the national consultants and project implementation teams to finalise the gender analysis and documentation of the gender based constraints (GBCs) to delivery of equality of outcomes for men and women in each project. Based on the identified GBCs and the gender project guide recently finalized by the ASARECA gender working group, at least one strategy addressing any of the five dimensions of empowerment will be mainstreamed in the project approach and impacts assessed. The national consultants will provide the project teams the requisite mentoring and or coaching support needed to ensure gender transformative outcomes at project beneficiary level. Capacity for use of the various tools in the guide will also be enhanced as appropriate.
- Facilitate the integration and tracking of gender responsiveness of ASARECA research for development interventions in the ECA region;
Working closely with the ASARECA Gender Mainstreaming Unit and the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team (ME&L), the gender working group will also participate in project monitoring for assessment of gender compliance using the monitoring checklists in the gender project guide. The GWG will take advantage of joint monitoring and evaluation trips to enhance capacities for use of the various tools in the guide at field level.
Three main activities have hence been envisaged as per these terms of reference:
- Update of the ASARECA Gender mainstreaming strategy
- Development of the ASARECA strategy for youth integration in agricultural research for development projects
- Mentoring and coaching support in gender transformative approaches at project level
- Consultancy Objective
The main objective of the consultancy is to operationalise the ASARECA gender mainstreaming policy. ASARECA is hence seeking one gender expert in each of its constituent member countries to help deliver the scope of work detailed below.
- Scope of Work
- Development of ASARECA strategy for youth integration in agricultural research for development projects
- Conduct literature review on current level of youth engagement in agriculture in general and in agricultural research for development projects in particular at national level
- Participate in developing the key informant interview and focus group discussion checklists and tools
- Organise focus group discussions with male and female youth engaged in ASARECA R4D projects
- Collate relevant information and clarifications as needed
- Participate in a virtual writeshop to draft the strategy [via skype and google docs]
- Participate in responding to reviewers comments on the draft strategy
- Updating the ASARECA Gender Mainstreaming Strategy
- Provide input into the institutional gender audit questionnaire
- Prepare and share contact lists of NARI staff at all levels (senior management, research staff, administrative staff and support staff) to inform the sampling design
- Coordinate responses to the gender audit questionnaire at national level [use of survey monkey tool]
- Collate responses, conduct analysis and draft report of the national gender audit results
- Coordinate discussions with the national gender taskforce on the report and prepare/update national gender action plan
- Provide input into the regional synthesis gender audit report
- Provide input into the updated ASARECA Gender Mainstreaming Strategy
- Mentoring and coaching support in gender transformative approaches at project level
- Support researchers in the use of the ASARECA Gender mainstreaming in R4D projects guide
- Implement the gender mainstreaming in ASARECA projects monitoring checklists at least once and share report with ASARECA
- Where applicable provide input into the analysis of key gender-based constraints among ASARECA R4D project beneficiaries using the project baseline data
- Support researchers to identify and implement at least one strategy to address critical gender-based constraints to delivery of equality of outcomes for men and women in the ASARECA R4D projects implemented at country level
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables
The following outputs are expected from each national consultant:
- National gender audit analysis report.
- Report of focus group discussions on extent of institutionalization of the gender mainstreaming approach at NARI level
- Updated gender action plan
- Literature review of youth engagement in AR4D projects at national level
- Report of focus group discussions on extent of participation of youth in AR4D projects
- Gender mainstreaming compliance monitoring reports
- Duration of the Assignment
The effective duration of this consultancy is 5 months effective June 2016 to November 2016
- Location of the Assignment
The consultants will be home-based across the ASARECA member countries.
- Performance Criteria
The Consultants are expected to undertake the services with the highest standards of professional and ethical competence and integrity. They should be able to deliver the listed assignments in Section D in a most effective and efficient manner, within the period of the assignment stated in Section E.
Each national consultant/gender expert will report directly to the Head, Gender Mainstreaming Unit, ASARECA.
- Facilities to be provided by ASARECA
ASARECA will provide the following to the consultants:
- Reporting guidelines
- Focus group discussion and key informant checklists to be customized to the country context
- Qualification and Experience
The national consultant to undertake this assignment should:
- Have a degree in socio-economics, an agricultural related field or development studies
- Have over 5 years professional or post-graduation experience in gender mainstreaming in AR4D programmes and projects
- Demonstrate nuanced knowledge of their country and or the ECA agricultural research for development agenda
- Be hands-on with gender analysis techniques and frameworks
- Have demonstrable ability to write concise technical papers and synthesis reports
- Placement within the national agricultural research institute is an added advantage
- Applications and deadline
Please send (by e-mail) your comprehensive curriculum vitae and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th May 2016.