The ASARECA Secretariat is responsible for the day to day operations of the Association.
- The Executive Director (ED) heads the Secretariat and is responsible for ensuring the efficient functioning of the Secretariat and reports to the Board of Directors.
- The Financial Management Unit is responsible for all budgeting and accounting, collections and disbursements, financial reporting and for coordinating the annual audit process. The unit also develops and advises on appropriate financial management systems and procedures.
- The Administration Unit takes care of general administration, human resources, procurement and contracting.
- The Information and Communication Unit is principally responsible for effective corporate communication,public relations and management of the information systems.
- The Internal Auditor. Provides checks and balances, and provides advice on processes and procedures, including fund release and procurements, as laid out in the ASARECA operational manual and in accordance with internationally accepted standards.
- The Deputy Executive Director-Programmes (DED-P) reports to the Executive Director, and acts as the ED's deputy in all functions as may be required. The DED-P is responsible for the technical direction and management of the 7 programmes, including representation of the programmes externally, advocacy, resource mobilisation, management of strategic partnerships, team building, and inter-programme coordination. a] The Planning Unit is responsible for the preparation of long-term and short-term plans as well as the development of planning tools and systems. The Monitoring and Evaluation Unit is responsible for tracking the implementation of the operational plan. b] The Grants Management Unit is responsible for the call to commissioning process of research projects and provides backstopping and support to the Programme Managers. c] The Partnerships and Capacity Development Unit. This unit is responsible for establishing and managing functional partnerships, collaboration and joint activities with relevant organisations such as COMESA, FARA, RUFORUM, ANAFE, AFAAS and others.
a] The Planning Unit is responsible for the preparation of long-term and short-term plans as well as the development of planning tools and systems.