JOB DESCRIPTION FOR PROCUREMENT ASSISTANT
Title: Procurement Assistant
The Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA) is a sub-regional not-for-profit intergovernmental organization comprising 14 member countries, namely Burundi, Cameroon, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. The organization brings together researchers from the national agricultural research, extension and education institutions, the private sector, and other strategic partners including Development partners to generate, share and promote Technologies, Innovations and Management Practices (TIMPs) and knowledge to solve common challenges facing agriculture in the sub-region. ASARECA is strategically positioned to perform higher level facilitative, supportive, coordination and advocacy roles to enhance sustainable agricultural transformation and economic growth in the Eastern and Central Africa (ECA) sub-region.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the position holder will provide support for timely implementation of the procurement processes in accordance to the procurement plan which will guarantee timely acquisition of goods, works and services guided by the applicable provisions of the ASARECA Operations Manual.
The assignment shall initially be for a period of two years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and continued need.
Location: ASARECA Secretariat office in Entebbe Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate the function for all the procurement activities in the Secretariat and ensure that the procurement guidelines are observed and adhered to at all stages of procurement process.
- Support implementing departments/units to compile procurement requirements and maintain a procurement register
- Verify and make available documentation relating to procurement and disposal activities of the organization for easy use by all interested parties
- Support the development, preparation and update of Procurement and Disposal Plan by the beneficiary Departments/Units, and monitor their implementation in close liaison with supervisor
- Verify that Procurement requests are in accordance to the approved Procurement Plan.
- Work closely with Beneficiary Departments/Units to ensure that Terms of Reference or Technical Specifications are obtained in a timely manner
- Lead preparation of bidding documents, request for proposals, consultant’s shortlists and other documents based on relevant procedures for the procurement of goods, Works and on consultant services and for the selection of consulting services,
- Manage issuance, receipt and opening of bids expressions of interest and proposals from potential service providers, contractors and suppliers
- Assist in organizing pre-bid or pre-proposal meetings and negotiation meetings.
- Participate in Evaluation exercises (Expression of Interest, Quotations, Bids and Proposals) and ensuring adherence to procedures and guidelines
- Prepare timely submissions for consideration/approval by the Procurement Committee
- Provide to the Finance department procurement documentation necessary for effecting payment to service providers of the organization.
- Support the contract management through monitoring orders of supplies, goods and works, progress and delivery schedules and pointing out any shortcomings( in delivery, cost, quality and contract administration) to the Procurement Consultant
- Prepare for review by the Procurement Consultant the procurement progress reports, procurement monthly reports and procurement quarterly reports
- Maintain complete procurement files and records including all correspondence related to procurement activities and ensure that the records are safeguarded and properly kept for future reference.
- Under the Supervision of the Procurement Consultant, participate in preparation of draft contract agreements for Procurement Committee’s clearance and No Objection where necessary
- Under the Supervision of the Procurement Consultant, assist in facilitating the Post Procurement Reviews (PPR) exercise/Procurement Audits, and follow up implementation of PPR/Audit recommendations
- Assist the Procurement Consultant to Prepare, update and maintain the Contract Register
- Report immediately to the Executive Director any noted Fraud and Corruption or Governance issues involving Staff, Bidders or Consultants.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time
- Able to uphold and respect procurement ethics and to conduct activities with integrity.
- A team player who demonstrates patience, flexibility and honesty.
- Be willing and able to meet tight deadlines and including working long hours when required.
- A self-starter, who is able to plan and manage his/her own work, takes initiative and strives to meet deadlines.
- Be able to work in a multicultural environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Procurement & Logistics Management, Business Administration, Management or Finance. Memberships of the CIPS is added advantage
- Three years progressively responsible experience in procurement.
- Working knowledge of procurement management in donor financed projects.
- Good working knowledge of MS 365 (Word & Excel), MS teams and SharePoint, email application etc.