The ASARECA Policy Makers’ Network is a platform for sharing knowledge and experiences, peer interactions and discussions on topical issues in Agricultural Research for Development (AR4D) policy formulation, analysis and implementation, while building on the collective knowledge and skills of members. It comprises policy makers and policy specialists operating in the AR4D sphere in the 15 ASARECA member countries and the Regional Economic Communities. The platform was formed in 2021 to coordinate the following:
- Undertaking AR4D policy analysis
- Joint development of AR4D policy tools and methodologies
- Advocacy for desired changes in policy and regulatory frameworks
- Collaboration in regional policy initiatives and events
- Capacity gap assessment among policy makers
- Documentation of impacts of policy formulation and capacity building activities
- Tracking of reforms in AR4D policy and regulatory frameworks
- Sharing experiences in AR4D policy formulation and implementation
Rationale for the ASARECA Policy Makers’ Network
Supportive AR4D policy and regulatory frameworks favour agricultural technology generation, dissemination, commercialization and trade in related agricultural inputs and commodities. This requires a strong partnership, new skills, networks, information and knowledge sharing to scale up supportive policy and regulatory frameworks throughout Eastern and Central Africa. The ASARECA Policy Makers’ Network was established to deliver this.
Our mission is to create a collaborative space where policy makers and policy specialists in AR4D share, learn, and innovate for continuous improvement in AR4D policy analysis, formulation and implementation.
Currently, this Community of Practice has over 50 members drawn from the following categories of institutions:
- National Agricultural Research Institutions
- Ministries responsible for Agriculture
- Ministries responsible for Trade
- National Bureaus of Standards
- National Customs Authorities
- Farmers’ Associations
- International Research Institutions
- Regional Economic Communities
- Non-governmental organizations
Membership Fees and Funding
Currently membership to this platform is free. However, associated platform activities are currently financed by the European Union through the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme CAADP ex-pillar IV (CAADP-XP4) project as part of the grant awarded to ASARECA, AFAAS, CCARDESA, FARA and CORAF.
Further information on membership is available from
Plot 5, Mpigi Road
P.O. Box 765, Entebbe, Uganda.